Your roof is one of the trickiest components of your home to maintain. In order to ensure that your roof is performing properly, you have to ensure it is inspected and maintained on a regular basis. Neglected roofs are the primary cause of water infiltration and premature building envelope failure. In our climate the last thing you want is water pouring into your home in the middle of our rainy winters!
Here are 3 easy steps to ensure your roof is not leaking:
Visual Inspection – The first thing to do is make sure that when it rains there are:
- No visible water stains marks on your ceilings
- No water drops on your hardwood floors or carpets
- No buildup of moss & mildew on the exterior of your roof
- No water flowing over the side of your eaves trough or decks
- No odd musty smells lingering on the top floor of your home
Yearly Maintenance – Every fall (Nov & Dec are the best months) it is important to:
- Remove all debris off your roof with a broom or air pressure (certain roofs can be pressure washed)
- Clean out your deck drains, eaves trough and flush out your downpipes & drain tiles
- Inspect all roofing materials for signs of premature aging (i.e. curling shingles or separating seams)
- Ensure chimney, venting and skylight are securely fastened & unobstructed
- Perform routine maintenance: shingle/shake replacement, metal shimming, hot weld seams, etc.
Your roof typically comes with a 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 or even 50 year warranty. These warrantees cover the roofing materials & installation. However, most roof leaks occur due to the weather (wind and rain storms) or mischievous animals and not due to faulty workmanship or roofing materials.
Even if you have a number of years left on your roofs warranty, it is often wise to be proactive and have your roof replaced. Different regions of Vancouver will age your roof sooner than other regions due to higher amount of rain per year (i.e. Vancouver roofs age quicker than White Rock roofs and North Shore roofs age quicker than Vancouver roofs).
If you are proactive the chance of having a leaky roof is greatly reduced! Make sure that you have done everything you can to protect your largest investment from our windy and rainy winter season.
If any of the tips mentioned above seem overwhelming, contact your roofing professionals to inspect your roof or sign you up for a regular roof maintenance package to give you the peace of mind that the water stays on the outside of your home!
Have a question about your roof? Just call the experts!
If you have any questions about your roof or need another opinion on your roof’s health, give Macbeth Roofing & Waterproofing a call at 778-374-0333 or visit their website at www.macbethroof.com. You’ll be glad you did!
0 Join the discussion! Share your comments or questions about this article.